10.28.2010

Debby Shepherd





Debby Shepherd is the owner of Le Petit Marche a gallerie at the French Market. Her space exudes the feeling of fall and of course the pieces are perfect for anytime.  Oh, how I would adore to hang the quatrefoil mirror in my home. Interior Designer Debby Shepherd was kind enough to share a little about her long-time career and her love for antiques and how to make them feel fresh...

Having always had an interest in design and interiors since my teenage years I pursued my passion and received a degree in Interior Design from the University of Alabama in 1973. I began my career as a Designer with Bromberg’s Interior Design Department and later managed their department until I began my free lance career which has lasted over 35 years. While I have completed many commercial and residential designs of which I am very proud I would have to say I find residential work the most enjoyable. The time spent working with a client in their own home affords the opportunity to personally get to know the client and their family who many times become lifelong friends. It has been most rewarding to continue to work with these clients as they have moved and raised their families over the years. In some cases I have even helped their children as they established their own homes.

Over the years I have developed a great love of antiques and their history but I most love the new trend of mixing the old with the new. It adds so much interest and pizazz to put a contemporary mirror with a traditional chest or top off an antique sofa  with fresh art in a sleek new frame. How great to have some wonderful old pieces which will never go out of style and be able to mix them with the newest look to keep your home fresh and up to date.

This is advice that I am sure most of us can live by... 

My best advice to my clients is put most of your money in good antique pieces and accent with contemporary items which can be easily changed when they become dated!

Thank you Debby for your wise and inspiring words!

3 comments:

La Maison Fou said...

What a lovely mix of items, old and new.
Love the feel of this vignette.

L.

Julie Holloway said...

great advice. So true!

molly b. said...

excellent advice. thanks Mrs. French & Mrs. Shepherd!